1. Can I work while I study in Canada?

Yes, as an international student in Canada, you have the opportunity to work while pursuing your studies. The Canadian government allows students to work on and off-campus during their academic program. A temporary rule was approved, permitting students to work more than 20 hours per week but only until December 2023. You can work part-time during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as summer or winter holidays. This can help you gain valuable work experience, supplement your income, and contribute to your living expenses while studying.

2.Can I get admission even if I don’t have IELTS?

Admission and visa applications can be pursued without the necessity of an IELTS or English requirement. However, it’s essential to bear in mind that English language assessment plays a vital role in gaining admission to a study program and meeting visa prerequisites.
There are ways to qualify for admission and apply for a visa, even if an IELTS or English Assessment isn’t in place:

Option One:
If you come from certain countries or have completed your education there, you are exempt from the English language assessment requirement.

Option Two:
Conditional acceptance is an alternative route. You may apply for it through a conditional letter of acceptance (LOA). This conditional acceptance is issued by the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) when a prerequisite course or program is necessary before you can enter your desired study program. Submit the LOA when you apply for temporary residence in Canada.

Moreover, if a prerequisite program like English as a second language (ESL) or French as a second language (FSL) needs to be completed before your main study program, the study permit you receive will be valid for the length of the prerequisite program plus an additional year.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you hold a study permit for a prerequisite program, you will not be eligible for off-campus work in Canada until you commence your primary program of study.

3. Can I restore or change my current status within Canada from study to work or change the program?

Yes, you can make changes to your status while you are in Canada. If you wish to switch from a study permit to a work permit, you may be eligible to apply for a
post-graduation work permit (PGWP) after completing your program of study. This permit allows you to work in Canada for a specific duration related to the length of your program. Similarly, if you decide to change your study program or college after arriving in Canada, you should consult your immigration partner to ensure you meet the requirements for the change and adhere to the necessary procedures.

4. Can I change my study program or college after receiving an offer or entering into Canada?

Yes, it is possible to change your study program or college after receiving an offer or even after entering Canada. However, there are certain conditions and procedures you need to follow. 

First, you should consult with the international student advisor or the admissions office of your current institution to understand the requirements for program or college transfers. Each institution has its own policies, and you may need to provide a valid reason for the change and meet specific academic or administrative criteria. 

It’s important to make informed decisions and ensure a smooth transition to your new program or college.

5. Do I have to pay a full tuition fee before admission or visa approval?

No, you are not required to pay the full tuition fee before receiving an offer of admission or getting your visa approved. However, you may be asked to pay a deposit to secure your spot in the program once you have been accepted. 

6. Can a spouse or child go along with the student to Canada?

Yes, Canada allows the accompanying family members of international students to join them during their studies. Spouses or common-law partners, as well as dependent children, can apply for a study permit or a visitor visa, depending on the duration of the study program. 

These permits allow the family members to stay with the student and may also provide them with the opportunity to work or study in Canada. However, it is important to meet the eligibility requirements and provide the necessary documentation to support the family members’ visa applications. For that, contact a well-versed Immigration Services.

7. Will the college provide free guidance for study visa applications if required?

Yes, many educational institutions in Canada provide free guidance and support for
study visa applications. They have dedicated international student advisors who can assist you throughout the visa application process, helping you understand the requirements, gathering the necessary documentation, and providing guidance on filling out the application forms accurately. 

These advisors have expertise in visa procedures and can address any concerns or queries you may have. It’s always recommended to reach out to the international student services department of the college you are applying to for personalized assistance with your study visa application.

9.What is an LOA (Letter of Acceptance)?

An LOA, or Letter of Acceptance, is an official document issued by a Canadian educational institution to a prospective international student. It confirms that the student has been accepted into a specific program of study at the institution. The LOA includes important details such as the program start date, program duration, tuition fees, and any conditions or requirements that need to be fulfilled before enrollment. The Letter of Acceptance is a crucial document that students need to provide when applying for a study permit to study in Canada.

10. What is PGWP? 

PGWP stands for Post-Graduation Work Permit. It is a work permit issued by the Canadian government to international students who have completed a full-time study program at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada. The PGWP allows these graduates to work in Canada for a specified period after their graduation.

The validity of the PGWP depends on the length of the study program completed by the student. Generally, if the program is less than 8 months but more than 6 months, the work permit will be issued for a duration equal to the program’s length. For programs that are 8 months or longer, the PGWP can be issued for up to three years.

11. Is a PGWP a Guarantee to My Immigration Application in Canada?

While a
Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) provides international students in Canada with an opportunity to work in the country after completing their studies, it is important to note that it is not a guarantee for immigration. The PGWP allows eligible graduates to gain Canadian work experience, which can be valuable for future immigration applications. However, obtaining a PGWP does not automatically guarantee permanent residency or citizenship. To pursue immigration in Canada, students need to meet the eligibility criteria for the specific immigration programs they are interested in, such as the Express Entry system or Provincial Nominee Programs. The PGWP can be a beneficial factor in immigration applications but does not ensure approval on its own.

12.  What is a Post-Secondary Institution and What are the Differences Between Universities, Colleges, Vocational Schools, and CEGEPs with Respect to a DLI Status-ISP?

In Canada, post-secondary schools encompass a range of institutions like colleges, universities, and vocational schools. Each of these schools has its own unique set of application rules and criteria for accepting students, including specific educational credentials and language requirements (English or French).

At the provincial and territorial level, Canada delegates the responsibility of designating post-secondary schools eligible to enroll international students. This designated learning institution (DLI) list comprises various institutions, including universities, colleges, CEGEPs, vocational schools, private career colleges, and language schools. It is important to note that when applying for a study permit, if your letter of acceptance is not from a DLI authorized to accept international students, your application will be declined.

13. When applying for a study permit, do I need to produce proof of funds?

Yes, when applying for a study permit, you need to provide proof of funds, which includes tuition costs and an extra $10,000 for a 12-month period (or $833 per month) to cover living expenses for single students.

14. What is the Difference Between a Student Visa and Study Permit?

A study permit is not a visa.A student visa is obtained before entering a foreign country and allows entry for study purposes, while a study permit is obtained after arrival in the country and permits legal study for the duration of the program.

While a study permit is not required, you must possess a valid passport. 

Depending on your travel document, you may also need either:

  •  A visitor visa (temporary resident visa) or,
  • An electronic travel authorization (eTA) with the purpose of studying. 

Having one of these permits allows you to enter Canada.

15. What is an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) Report and why is It Important?

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is a crucial process to validate the authenticity and equivalency of your foreign degree, diploma, or certificate, ensuring it holds the same value as a Canadian credential. Obtaining an ECA becomes necessary for
immigration purposes.

To acquire an ECA, you can approach any of the designated organizations listed below. It’s important to note that we only accept assessments from these specific organizations. Once they evaluate your educational qualifications, they will provide a comprehensive report indicating how your education compares to the Canadian standard.

Designated Organizations:

  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
  • World Education Services
  • International Credential Evaluation Service
  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *